The refreshing boba milk teas that spread across the Bay Area like wildfire never caught onto me. The artificial sweetness, heavy creaminess, and lack of ‘tea’ flavor were always a turn off, especially in the iced ones. I never thought they ever tasted enough like tea and they always left me feeling slightly sick to my stomach.
My world changed when my mom one day walked through the door with a hot milk tea in hand. Although the drink was sweet, the fragrance of the Jasmine tea was evident and appealed to me. That night I’m sure she regretted sharing the drink with me.
Lately I’ve been working on a hot milk tea recipe. Most milk teas bought in stores are ladened with sweeteners and sometimes don’t even contain real milk or tea! This milk tea recipe is ridiculously simple and you can adjust it to fit more of your taste preferences.
Note: The strength of tea is dependent on what brand you’re using and since I’m using one that isn’t quite strong, I steeped two tea bags. If you don’t like strong tea flavors, only brew one tea bag. (Also, be careful to not over steep your tea. You’ll end up extracting all of the bitter tea flavors that way.)
- 1 cup water
- 2 bags of jasmine green tea
- ⅔ cup milk of choice
- 1-2 Tbsp of sweetener of choice (honey, sugar, condensed milk, etc.)
- Optional: grass jelly from a can
- Note: I liked using cashew milk with condensed milk as my sweetener.
- Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Turn off the heat and let the water sit for about 10 seconds. Place the tea bags in a mug and pour water into the mug. Steep the tea for 3 minutes and then remove the teabags.
- Heat the ⅔ cup of milk in a pot or in a microwave and pour it into the mug of tea. Stir in your sweetener of choice and add grass jelly.
Make this week of yours amazing. Work hard, spend time with loved ones, do what you enjoy, and find comfort in this warm milk tea. Maybe it’ll help keep you up during the work day. Jasmine green tea does contain a bit of caffeine; therefore, if you are sensitive to caffeine, you may not want to drink it in the evening.
Officially one more week until Thanksgiving! I have a challenge for you from now to Thanksgiving. I want you to write a list of 3-5 specific things you’re thankful for every day. Being grateful for the things or people in your life boosts your levels of happiness! It also helps you look at your life in a different perspective and appreciate what you have.
I’ll begin with my list.
I’m grateful for…
- All of the kind and thoughtful people I work with (kids, adults, and all!)
- This blog where I can share my passions for food, health, and writing with all of you. 😀
- My supportive and loving family and friends.
- Coffee shops where I can feed my caffeine addiction
- My two tough grammy’s (grandmas)
I hope you take me up on the challenge. Have a wonderful rest of your week! Stay happy and healthy, y’all!