When it comes to breakfast food, simple and savory is the way to go for me, especially when I have things to do. Some breakfast, a hot coffee, and then a day jam packed with activities, family, and friends is my favorite way to spend the weekend.
I got to do some of that this weekend in spite of getting a wisdom tooth yanked out. I did some lesson planning, attended open houses with Mark and learned that we did not get our dream condo, cooked, jogged, and hung out with my best friends. If that doesn’t sound like a perfect weekend, I don’t know what does.
Busy weekends call for simple breakfasts. This one is a Recipe Redux themed breakfast recipe: savory, fairly healthy, and protein packed.
I kept it simple and flexible. You get your choice of corn or flour tortillas and type of beans. Call it a lazy recipe if you must, but sometimes the lazy recipes are the best.
- Small corn or flour tortillas
- Parmesan cheese
- Scrambled eggs
- Canned kidney beans or pinto beans (beans of choice)
- Salt, pepper, chili powder (start with ½ teaspoon) to taste
- Optional: Jarred Salsa of your choice
- Drain the can of beans and rinse them. Pour the beans into the pot and heat them over medium heat. Add some pepper, salt, and chili powder. Allow the beans to simmer. Taste and add more seasoning.
- Heat the tortillas over low medium heat. After one side is browned, flip them over and sprinkle parmesan cheese over it. After the bottom sides are browned and the cheese is melted, remove them from the heat.
- Heat a small pan with canola oil, scramble your choice of how many eggs over it.
- Add eggs and beans onto the heated tortillas. If you'd like, add salsa as well and enjoy!
Yeah, I wasn’t kidding when I said this recipe was so incredibly easy. Maybe you can’t even call it a recipe. It was one of those things where I had a bunch of tortillas in the fridge and just needed to throw a bunch of things together.
Have a great evening and stay happy and healthy, y’all!