I could tell you that these taste just like your old fashioned chocolate chip cookies, but then I’d be lying to you. Made of almond meal, date puree, chia seeds, coconut oil, and dark chocolate, these are probably the most nutritious cookies in existence (minus my Black Bean Chocolate Chip Cookies). They’re probably also the tastiest healthy cookies in existence!
Unlike your usual chocolate chip cookies, these cookies are a bit more textured due to the almond meal, which is another way to say ground up almonds. They also have a slight hint of coconut flavor due to the coconut oil. If you don’t mind the almonds or coconut flavor, and if you’re not craving the chewy artificially sweetened chocolate chip cookies, then these might be the cookies just for you! They’re refined sugar free, soft, ladened with protein and healthy fats, very easy to make, and most importantly, they’re yummy!
- 2 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3-4 Tbsp date puree
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds 3 Tbsp water (mix together and set aside)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Make the date puree, which is 10 pitted dates boiled in 2/3 cup of water for about 30 minutes. Blend the dates with the water and then take 3-4 tablespoons of the puree and mix with the coconut oil, vanilla extract, and chia seeds. Refrigerate the date puree for another recipe in the near future.
- In another bowl, mix the baking soda, salt, and almond meal. Slowly add those dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients. Mix while you’re pouring the dry ingredients (it helps to have a kitchen aid mixer of some sort). Once the ingredients are evenly mixed, add the chocolate chips.
- Grease a baking sheet, scoop small balls of the dough onto the sheet and flatten them to your desired thickness. Bake them in the oven for about 10 minutes. To check if they’re finished, get a spatula and lift the cookie to look at the bottom. If the bottom of the cookie is browned, then the cookies should be ready to be taken out. Allow the cookies to cool and then enjoy them with a glass of milk!
My family and friends gobbled all of these cookies in a matter of minutes, so if you like natural tasting cookies and don’t mind them a bit textured, then you’ll like these.
These cookies are ideal for kids because they don’t have processed sugar in them (except for what’s in the dark chocolate); therefore, they won’t cause any sudden blood sugar spikes that’ll have your kids bouncing off the walls. Kids can eat 2 or 3 and you won’t have to worry about anything because they just ate vitamins, minerals, fiber, healthy fats, and protein in the form of a cookie. My dad, who’s a diabetic, was also able to eat one. Whoo hoo! Success. Have a great Sunday and stay happy and healthy as always.