Wow, this week is flying by! I was so excited to see my kids from last year. I miss them! I have thirty new faces that I’m still getting used to, and I’ve been whining to Mark that these little guys just aren’t the same as mine from last year. He claims that I said the same thing this time last year…(I don’t believe him).
Anyways, it’s the first week of school, there have been a ton of things going on at home, and responsibilities have been piling up, so there has pretty much been zero time to cook. This post is mostly about a few ingredients you should keep in your home for days/weeks when you have little time to spare.
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- Jar of bean and corn salsa (seriously, this stuff is amazing!)
Reasons for these ingredients:
- These ingredients keep well in the fridge and you could use them throughout the week for a variety of meals other than quesadillas.
- They hit most of the food groups: whole grains, vegetables, protein, and dairy.
- They’re versatile and easy to cook!
- They’re full of vitamins and contain enough calories to be filling.
Preparation for the Quesadilla:
- Place the tortilla on a pan over low-medium heat. Sprinkle cheese to cover half of the tortilla, and then toss spinach over the cheese. Fold the side of the tortilla that doesn’t have anything on it over the side that is covered with goods. Cook like that for 2-3 minutes (or until side is browned), then turn it over and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove the quesadilla from the pan, cut it into triangles, and serve with salsa. It’s a 5 minute meal for days when you’re on the go.
Other possible dishes:
- Sautee spinach with garlic and salt as a side dish (and cheese if you’d like)
- Fill a tortilla with peanut butter and sliced bananas for breakfast or lunch
- Bake the tortilla in the oven to make tortilla chips and eat with salsa
- Simple cheese quesadillas
Like I said, I’m short on time. I hope you had a good day!