Having just returned from the dentist to get a filling redone, half of my face is still quite numb. I can’t drink water without having it dribble down my face or shooting out of my nose (yeah, I don’t know why that’s happening either). Who knew that those fillings needed to get replaced every 10 years or so? If I could go back and tell 10 or 13 year old me to stop eating candy, I would, especially since I have to go back to get TWO more done. Anyhow, since I can’t eat anything at the moment, I guess I’ll write about it.
Photographed above are little balls that I like to call Almond Butter Protein Bites. They are filled with healthy fats, protein, and fiber. They are definitely better for you than any granola bar due to the low sugar content and are extremely simple to make. I have an obsession with nut butters and have an abundance of them in my fridge even though I don’t have any bread to eat them with. The best way to use those jars up is with this recipe.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Almond butter or any nut butter, just make sure it’s all natural and unsalted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1/6 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder (or you can use protein powder)
- 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine oats, almonds, seeds, cinnamon, salt, cocoa powder, and seeds into a bowl and stir.
- Melt the nut butter of your choice and allow it to cool before stirring in the honey and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well with spoon. Then use your hands to bring everything together (the fun messy part!). Add the chocolate chips if you’d like to, mix them in with your hands, and then roll the mixture into little bite sized balls.
The original recipe came from How Sweet Eats and now that I’ve begun making them, I can’t stop eating them. I eat them before I head out the door in the morning, before a workout, after a workout, as a dessert…you get the idea. The best part about it all is that they’re healthy for you!
All of this healthy eating post marathon has definitely contributed to my nearly fully recovered muscles. I can walk like a regular person now!
Want more protein and fiber rich snacks? Check out Black Bean Chocolate Chip Cookies.